Medieval London

Map of Charterhouse in Medieval London (in 1520)

Dublin Core

Title

Map of Charterhouse in Medieval London (in 1520)

Subject

Charterhouse

Description

A map marking the location of the Carthusian monastery at Charterhouse in 1520. This provides a visual understanding of how Charterhouse's location tied in perfectly with its mission. Laying just outside of Cripplegate in the open moor fields to the City's north and west, Charterhouse, with it's monastic neighbors at the priories of St. John and St. Bartholomew, sat at a location removed from the hustle and noise of the City, but within reach of those longing for peace, seclusion, and spiritual contemplation. Despite the urbanized environment around the present-day Charterhouse, it still retains the secluded serenity that drew laymen and clergy alike during its 170 years of operation. Note: the black star denotes the location of Cell B while the yellow oval denotes the location of the monastic wall and gatehouse.

Creator

Historic Towns Trust

Source

Caroline Barron, London in the Later Middle Ages: Government and People 1200-1500 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004); originally published by the Historic Towns Trust in Mary D. Lobel and W.H. Johns, eds., The City of London from Prehistoric Times to c. 1520, Volume III (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989).

Publisher

Oxford University Press

Date

Late Medieval/ Early Modern (1485-1600)

Contributor

Joe O'Brien

Rights

Historic Towns Trust

Type

Still Image

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Map

Files

Collection

Citation

Historic Towns Trust, “Map of Charterhouse in Medieval London (in 1520),” Medieval London, accessed September 23, 2017, http://medievallondon.ace.fordham.edu/items/show/190.
# Google Analytics Portion 06-02-2016