Medieval London

Lambeth Palace (Morton's Tower)

Dublin Core

Title

Lambeth Palace (Morton's Tower)

Subject

Buildings, Ecclesiastical
Palaces

Description

The chapel and the crypt, dating from Hubert Walter’s ministry, remain. Interestingly, the windows of the chapel were made in a French style. Lollard’s tower was completed by Archbishop Chicheley in 1435, though it is uncertain if Lollards were ever imprisoned there. In 1490, the imposing Morton’s Tower made in a Tudor style of red brick was added to the building, and is now used as the entrance. 

Creator

Photo by Tessa Bloechl

Source

"The History of Lambeth Palace." The Archbishop of Canterbury. (February 16, 2015) http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/pages/the-history-of-lambeth-palace.html.

Date

c.1150 to the present

Contributor

Tessa Bloechl

Rights

Tessa Bloechl

Type

still image

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

photo

Files

Collection

Citation

Photo by Tessa Bloechl, “Lambeth Palace (Morton's Tower),” Medieval London, accessed May 26, 2019, http://medievallondon.ace.fordham.edu/items/show/153.
# Google Analytics Portion 06-02-2016