Medieval London

Browse Items (20 total)

  • Tags: street

Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 5.06.00 PM.png
The Agas map with Leadenhall Market marked in blue.

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.47.13 PM.png
This map was produced in 1633, and it shows what London looked like in the 1560s. Aldgate High Street would have led from below the gate and through.

ThamesStreet.jpg
A map of London most likely extracted from a copperplate for printing dated to around 1560. This image depicts all of Lower Thames Street and Most of Upper Thames Street.

St. Mary-le-Bow .JPG
The street is lined with luxury clothing stores, commercial banks, food outlets, and even an eight-floor mall complex, complete with restaurants, cafes, and high-end retail stores. On the left side of the picture is St. Mary-le-Bow church, which…

IMG_6556.JPG
This is a photograph of the intersection of Holywell Lane and Curtain Road in Shoreditch, London. This location is where the Walbrook began in medieval London before it went onwards to Moorfields and down to the River Thames.

london stone.jpg
The London Stone dates back to the Middle Ages, and is located on 111 Cannon Street. The stone is an irregular block of oolitic limestone, and stands behind a protective grille. The stone is 21 x 17 x 12 inches, and used to be a much larger object…

unnamed.jpg
Cannon Street is located in central London. The street used to be known as Candelewrithstret in 1183. The street is half a mile long.

IMG_4029 3.jpg
Newgate Street as it appears today. This photo is taken as if one were standing (approximately) just beneath the gate looking in to the City of London. On the righthand side would have been the Newgate Jail, while on the lefthand and further down the…

photo 4.JPG
The Hoop & Grape pub on Aldgate High Street is one of the only remaining medieval buildings. Its outside has jetties, which is the slight protrusion of the second floor, which is characteristic of medieval building style. The building also has a…

photo.JPG
St. Botolph's without Aldgate dates all the way back to 1108; the building seen here dates from 1744, but there has been a church on this site since Norman times. The church is located at the Western end of Aldgate High Street.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2

# Google Analytics Portion 06-02-2016