Medieval London

Browse Items (31 total)

  • Tags: Buildings Ecclasiastical

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 1.00.11.jpg
A garden covers the space formerly occupied by the Greyfriars Christ Church. The original site was not rebuilt after its destruction in 1666. The avenue of wooden towers, representative of the original thirteenth century church towers, marks the…

The Greyfriars Christ Church on London map c. 1270
The Greyfriars Christ Church is located opposite St. Paul's Cathedral, on Newgate Street. It is also called the Christ Church on Newgate Street Parish.

Lambeth Palace.jpg
The chapel and the crypt, dating from Hubert Walter’s ministry, remain. Interestingly, the windows of the chapel were made in a French style. Lollard’s tower was completed by Archbishop Chicheley in 1435, though it is uncertain if…

fig34.jpg
This sketch illustrates the layout of St. Giles' Cripplegate from 1400 to modern day. Parts of the church, and their centuries of construction, are presented above. With an aerial perspective, additions to the church over time are visible.

Final Charterhouse Location.jpg
A map marking the location of the Carthusian monastery at Charterhouse in 1520. This provides a visual understanding of how Charterhouse's location tied in perfectly with its mission. Laying just outside of Cripplegate in the open moor fields to the…

Charterhouse Cell B.jpg
This is the surviving door way to Cell B, the second of the twenty-five cells built around the Great Cloister by Henry Yevele. Construction on Cell B began on May 12, 1371. The carved stone doorway, food port, and original fourteenth century Flemish…

hso.jpg
Here is a photo of St Helen's Bishopsgate as it appears in 2015. The two churches continue to rest alongside each other. The building is largely constructed of reigate stone, and the depressed arches of the windows emphasize the building's Gothic…

St magnus.jpg
St Magnus the Martyr church on Thames Street, which was a popular road for trade and commerce. In the early medieval period it was called Stockfishmonger Row. Thames Street was believed to have been home to Geoffrey Chaucer, and later was described…

photo.JPG
St. Botolph's without Aldgate dates all the way back to 1108; the building seen here dates from 1744, but there has been a church on this site since Norman times. The church is located at the Western end of Aldgate High Street.

St. Bride's Layout 1.jpg
This sketch illustrates the layout of St. Bride's Church from the saxon and medieval periods. The perspective is aerial, and shows the extensions that were added to the church over time with dotted lines and arrows.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2

# Google Analytics Portion 06-02-2016