Medieval London

Browse Items (31 total)

  • Tags: Buildings Ecclasiastical

St. Bride's Medieval London 1520.jpg
This 1520 map shows the location of St. Bride's Church on the North Bank of the Thames River, just off the edge of the Fleet River. The church is circled in red. The church was a gathering place not only for the parish members to worship, but also…

The Greyfriars Christ Church on London map c. 1270
The Greyfriars Christ Church is located opposite St. Paul's Cathedral, on Newgate Street. It is also called the Christ Church on Newgate Street Parish.

1520 map.jpeg
This is a map of Clerkenwell Priory in 1520. The priory is circled in red.

St magnus.jpg
St Magnus the Martyr church on Thames Street, which was a popular road for trade and commerce. In the early medieval period it was called Stockfishmonger Row. Thames Street was believed to have been home to Geoffrey Chaucer, and later was described…

Charterhouse Gate & Wall.jpg
This photo captures the original fourteenth century wall at the center of the frame and monastic gate at the far left. The wall was constructed out of flint and part of its eastern front was knocked down to make room for the Tudor era mansion's…

Charterhouse Cell B.jpg
This is the surviving door way to Cell B, the second of the twenty-five cells built around the Great Cloister by Henry Yevele. Construction on Cell B began on May 12, 1371. The carved stone doorway, food port, and original fourteenth century Flemish…

photo.JPG
St. Botolph's without Aldgate dates all the way back to 1108; the building seen here dates from 1744, but there has been a church on this site since Norman times. The church is located at the Western end of Aldgate High Street.

IMG_3482.JPG
The stone wall and structures of the crypt shown here are from the eleventh and twelfth centuries. The recessed area, lit up by purple lights in today's viewing, shows Roman pavement from c. 43, which was covered by the saxon and medieval church.…

IMG_3494.JPG
The medieval stone walls of St. Bride's crypt still stand today. The length of the wall along the left side of the crypt survives from the eleventh century, while the back and right-side wall are from the fifteenth century. Today, an exhibition…

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 1.00.11.jpg
A garden covers the space formerly occupied by the Greyfriars Christ Church. The original site was not rebuilt after its destruction in 1666. The avenue of wooden towers, representative of the original thirteenth century church towers, marks the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2

# Google Analytics Portion 06-02-2016