Medieval London

Browse Items (25 total)

Here is a photo of St Helen's Bishopsgate as it appears in 2015. The two churches continue to rest alongside each other. The building is largely constructed of reigate stone, and the depressed arches of the windows emphasize the building's Gothic…

On this map of the east side of medieval London in 1270, St Helen’s Bishopsgate is located between Cornhulle and the City Wall.

This is a close-up of the hammer-beam roof, constructed by Hugh Herland in the late fourteenth century. The beams and the roof itself weigh a collective 836 tons, with the timbers of the beams weighing 660 tons. Featured in this image are the arches…

St. Etheldreda’s Chapel is a one-story Gothic-style Catholic church located in the private road of Ely Place in London. The church was built c.a. 1290 CE as a chapel part of a larger estate belonging to the Bishops of Ely just outside the city…

The Palace of Westminster can be seen in the lower left corner of this map. The Jewel Tower's location is marked with a red star.

Jewel Tower stands today behind Westminster Abbey and represents one of the few lasting remnants of the palace of Westminster. The vast majority of what visitors see today when they go to Jewel Tower is from its original construction. The building…

The Hoop & Grape pub on Aldgate High Street is one of the only remaining medieval buildings. Its outside has jetties, which is the slight protrusion of the second floor, which is characteristic of medieval building style. The building also has a…

This is the interior of Westminster Hall as it stands today, the majority of which is from the late medieval period, aside from multiple roof renovations. Note the hammer-beam ceiling, the architectural feat of Hugh Herland, each of which is…

A map marking the location of the Carthusian monastery at Charterhouse in 1520. This provides a visual understanding of how Charterhouse's location tied in perfectly with its mission. Laying just outside of Cripplegate in the open moor fields to the…

This is the surviving door way to Cell B, the second of the twenty-five cells built around the Great Cloister by Henry Yevele. Construction on Cell B began on May 12, 1371. The carved stone doorway, food port, and original fourteenth century Flemish…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2

# Google Analytics Portion 06-02-2016