Medieval London

Map of Cheapside and Bow Church

Dublin Core

Title

Map of Cheapside and Bow Church

Subject

Disc Brooch

Description

This is a map of the current location of Cheapside and the Bow Church, both of which are just east of St. Paul’s Cathedral. This is the supposed original location of the 1883 sewer excavation, where the glass-centered disc brooch was found along with other pewter brooches and rings. Bow Church is now known as St. Mary le-Bow, and is depicted on the 1300 London map with a five-pointed yellow star. The smaller map on the left is a closer view of present-day Cheapside Street and where St. Mary le-Bow is located on it.

Creator

Google Maps/Google Earth,
Edits by Tara Cangialosi

Source

1300 Map

Map originally published in William R. Shepherd, Historical Atlas (New York: Henry Holt, 1911; rev. 1926); digitized by the Perry-Castañeda Library, University of Texas, Austin

[http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/shepherd/london_plan_1300.jpg]; vectrized by Grandiose for Wikimedia Commons

[http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_London,_1300.svg]

Date

2015

Contributor

Tara Cangialosi

Type

Still Image

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Online Map

Files

Collection

Citation

Google Maps/Google Earth, Edits by Tara Cangialosi, “Map of Cheapside and Bow Church,” Medieval London, accessed November 19, 2017, http://medievallondon.ace.fordham.edu/items/show/54.
# Google Analytics Portion 06-02-2016